Also known as Irish moss, the Sea Moss is one of the red algae and is usually found in the Caribbean Islands and European coastal nations. It has always believed that this alga has luxurious antiviral properties that can be used in treating various medical conditions like tuberculosis and pneumonia. Modern medicine still sees the benefits of sea moss, even among those that are health conscious.
Health Benefits of Sea Moss
- The sea moss is more recognized from skincare products to dietary supplements because of its nutrients like calcium, iodine, and phosphate. Here are some of its health benefits:
- Helps in better thyroid function- Consuming sea moss regularly can give thyroid the iodine content it needs to maintain its proper function.
- Relieves muscle soreness- Sea moss is nutrient-dense that it can easily replace the nutrients lost, making us more functional.
- Boosts immune system- Some of the nutrients sea moss has are antiviral, antibacterial, anticoagulant, and antimicrobial. These properties aid the immune system to fight certain illnesses.
- Nourishes the skin- The minerals contained in sea moss make it a great skin care option.
Sea Moss as Appetite Suppressor
With the mentioned health benefits from sea moss, another excellent advantage from this red algae is its ability to suppress a person’s appetite. This ability works for those looking for natural and healthy ways to lose weight but having trouble consuming too much food. Because its dense with minerals and nutrients, the sea moss leaves a person feeling full quickly.
Besides being nutrient-dense, another thing that is beneficial from consuming sea moss about weight concerns is its ability to increase a person’s metabolism. This alga provides a healthy and proper blood flow making it easier for the body to convert the food into energy, convert consumed food into building and recovery elements for the cells, and discard waste materials after the food conversion process.
Also, the gel-like consistency of the sea moss helps the body to quickly remove toxins and aids in mucus membrane inflammation in the body’s intestines. Besides losing weight benefits, the sea moss can also help resolve digestion issues like gastritis, ulcers, and constipation.
With these benefits, sea moss can be an additional part of a personal diet. With its tastelessness, it can be included in a variety of dishes or can be consumed raw. Be sure to wash it thoroughly and even soak it for a day to get the best results.